Listed here are the most recent insights from customer support advisor and bestselling writer Micah Solomon
Right this moment’s prospects insist on the flexibility to work together with firms by way of quite a lot of channels — phone, SMS, stay chat, video chat, and good previous e mail. However whereas good companies have discovered to satisfy these channel calls for, they often fail to pay sufficient consideration to the spine of all communication: language.
In customer support supply, language is much from a trivial matter. It’s not “simply” phrases. Your alternative of phrases and phrases can drive—or utterly sabotage—your skill to make a profitable connection together with your prospects.
Odds are, your organization’s language decisions might use some enchancment and a few guardrails. So an essential step for any enterprise is to construct a language phrasebook (or “lexicon”) that spells out the phrases and phrases more likely to join with prospects and put them comfy, and discourages these which might be more likely to set a buyer on edge.
Observe this guidelines: Keep away from – Obtain – Align
In constructing your phrasebook, I recommend you utilize this quite simple guidelines — keep away from, obtain, align — as a casual and simple to use “language screening software.”
Any questionable phrase — i.e., any phrase or query that sounds somewhat off to you while you’ve heard it used — is a candidate to place by means of this screener:
- Does it keep away from these negatives? Be careful for any phrases or phrases that will make a buyer bristle, really feel undermined, query your trustworthiness, or really feel that they don’t converse your insider language.
- Does it obtain these objectives? Your phrasing ought to categorical empathy, construct consolation, let a buyer know you have got their again/that you simply’re listening/that you simply’re not judging, and so forth.
- Does it align together with your model fashion? Your phrases and phrases ought to align with the suitable (and, ideally, pleasant and distinctive) service fashion of your specific model.
Listed here are some phrases that ought to fail your screening:
1. “I’m not going to argue with you”:
Keep away from telling a buyer “I’m not going to argue with you,” when a dialog begins to warmth up on their finish. This phrase fails to keep away from a key adverse as a result of it actually brings up the idea of argument!
2. “Like I mentioned,” “once more,” or “per my earlier e mail”:
Keep away from utilizing the phrase “Like I mentioned,” or “Once more,” or “per my earlier e mail” when a buyer has forgotten or failed to grasp directions or info you’ve given them already. This phrase fails to obtain the snug verbal surroundings we need to be offering to our prospects. As a substitute of “concentration-shaming” your buyer with one among these phrases, simply take a breath after which repeat your self! (And maybe use totally different, easier-to-follow language the second time round.)
3. “To be trustworthy with you,” “to be completely candid,” or “full disclosure”
You most likely don’t imply something by it while you preface your phrases with a disclaimer like, “To be trustworthy with you,” or “to be completely candid” or “full disclosure.” Nonetheless, I’d suggest that these phrases fail to align with an optimum service fashion as a result of: what are they presupposed to think about you had been doing earlier than you turned all “trustworthy” or “candid”: mendacity by means of your tooth?
P.S. For one more helpful useful resource, be happy to assist your self to Nextiva’s free buyer help e mail templates.