By Robert Preidt HealthDay Reporter
FRIDAY, June 10, 2022 (HealthDay Information) — Lots of of U.S. youngsters die in pool and sizzling tub drownings annually, and the U.S. Shopper Product Security Fee (CPSC) is urging dad and mom to redouble security efforts this summer time.
That is as a result of many youngsters have been away from the water throughout the previous two years as a result of COVID-19 pandemic.
“Little one drowning charges and nonfatal drowning accidents amongst youngsters underneath 15 years outdated stay excessive, and water security vigilance is as essential as ever this summer time for fogeys and caregivers,” stated Alex Hoehn-Saric, chairman of the CPSC.
Whether or not a toddler is enjoying in a neighborhood pool, a neighbor’s pool or the household’s personal, the fee is urging dad and mom and caregivers to organize by reviewing pool security ideas and signing up for swimming classes.
“Working collectively, we will help scale back pool- and spa-related fatalities,” Hoehn-Saric stated in a CPSC information launch.
On common, 389 pool- or sizzling tub-related drowning deaths involving children underneath 15 had been reported annually from 2017 to 2019, in keeping with an annual CPSC report launched June 9.
Nonfatal pool- or hot-tub-related accidents in the identical age group rose from 5,800 in 2020 to six,800 in 2022, a 17% spike.
And 73% of reported deadly drownings concerned youngsters underneath age 5.
On common, children underneath 5 represented 80% of children handled in U.S. emergency departments for pool- or sizzling tub-related nonfatal accidents.
The place info was out there, 73% of these incidents occurred at a house. Two-thirds of deadly pool or spa drownings occurred at a house.
Drowning is the main reason for unintentional dying amongst 1- to 4-year-olds, in keeping with the CPSC.
The fee provided some ideas to assist dad and mom and caregivers preserve children secure:
- By no means go away a toddler unattended in or close to water, together with bathtubs, buckets, ornamental ponds and fountains. At all times designate an grownup water watcher. This individual shouldn’t be studying, texting, utilizing a telephone or be in any other case distracted.
- For those who personal a pool or sizzling tub, have a sequence of obstacles to maintain unsupervised people preserve from attending to the water. This consists of measures corresponding to door alarms, pool covers, and self-closing, self-latching units on fence gates and doorways that entry swimming pools.
- Learn to carry out CPR on youngsters and adults. Many communities supply on-line CPR coaching.
- Study to swim and ensure your youngster learns as properly.
- Maintain children away from pool drains, pipes and different openings to keep away from entrapments.
- Be sure that any pool and sizzling tub your youngster makes use of has drain covers that adjust to U.S. federal security requirements. Your pool service supplier can advise you about safer drain covers.
There’s extra on water security on the American Purple Cross.
SOURCE: U.S. Shopper Product Security Fee, information launch, June 9, 2022