The weekend is right here! Pour your self a mug of Guatemala Quetzaltenango espresso, seize a seat exterior, and prepare for our longer-form weekend reads:
• Who Owns the Generative AI Platform? Many scorching expertise tendencies get over-hyped far earlier than the market catches up. However the generative AI increase has been accompanied by actual positive aspects in actual markets, and actual traction from actual firms. Fashions like Secure Diffusion and ChatGPT are setting historic information for consumer progress, and a number of other purposes have reached $100 million of annualized income lower than a yr after launch. Facet-by-side comparisons present AI fashions outperforming people in some duties by a number of orders of magnitude. (Andreessen Horowitz)
• Six Forms of Wealth: Being wealthy isn’t only a cash factor: Which assets you contemplate precious is simply as essential because the abundance of assets themselves. The secret is optimizing for the correct type of wealth. (Younger Cash)
• Future Cringe In the future we’ll look again on this second and surprise: What have been we pondering? What are the issues we do at the moment that may appear embarrassing or in any other case regrettable to our future selves — the stuff that may make us cringe after we look again on how we lived our lives within the early 2020s? (New York Instances)
• Why VR/AR Will get Farther Away as It Comes Into Focus: As we observe the state of XR in 2023, it’s truthful to say the expertise has proved more durable than most of the best-informed and most financially endowed firms anticipated. (Matthew Ball)
• The Violin Physician He’s trusted to restore among the world’s most fabled — and costly — devices. How does John Becker handle to unlock the sound of a Stradivarius? (Chicago Journal)
• How A lot Netflix Can the World Soak up? Bela Bajaria, who oversees the streaming big’s hyper-aggressive method to TV-making, says success is about “recognizing that individuals like having extra.” (New Yorker)
• “It’s Gotta Develop to Keep Alive”: Inside Noah Shachtman’s Raucous Reinvention of ‘Rolling Stone’ The news-hungry, Twitter-happy editor has turbocharged the journal’s digital metabolism—“again within the sport,” says Gus Wenner—and chafed some workers alongside the best way, who surprise if the brand new Rolling Stone is turning into the outdated Day by day Beast. (Vainness Honest)
• How you can Be 18 Years Previous Once more for Solely $2 Million a Yr: Center-aged tech centimillionaire Bryan Johnson and his workforce of 30 medical doctors say they’ve a plan to reboot his physique. (Businessweek)
• Forgotten existentialist: Sartre will get a lot of the credit score for existentialism. Karl Jaspers not solely preceded him, however provided a manner out of despair (Aeon)
• ‘The SNL of Sabermetrics’: How a gaggle of message-board misfits modified baseball: Greater than 25 years in the past, Huckabay was on the middle of one in every of baseball’s nice underdog tales: “Revenge of the Nerds” meets “Main League,” with a bit Nationwide Lampoon combined in. Analytical, irreverent and opinionated, Baseball Prospectus turned, as one former worker mentioned, the “Saturday Night time Stay” of sabermetrics, a launching pad for gifted outsiders. (The Athletic)
Make sure you take a look at our Masters in Enterprise subsequent week with Neil Dutta, head of financial analysis at Renaissance Macro Analysis. He joined RenMac after spending seven years at Financial institution of America-Merrill Lynch, the place he was a Sr. economist masking US + Canada. Previous to that, he was a analysis analyst at Barron’s.
JPMorgan Machine: America’s largest financial institution handles no matter is thrown at it.