Avert your eyes! My Sunday morning take a look at incompetency, corruption and coverage failures:
• There have been greater than 600 mass shootings since January 2022: Mass shootings — the place 4 or extra folks, not together with the shooter, are injured or killed — have averaged a couple of per day since this time final yr. Not a single week in 2022 has handed with out at the very least 4 mass shootings. (Washington Submit) see additionally Gun violence in US and what the statistics inform us: Amongst high-income nations, america stands out for its excessive ranges of gun violence. Firearm accidents are typically extra frequent in locations the place folks have easy accessibility to firearms. (BBC) see additionally We Profiled the ‘Indicators of Disaster’ in 50 Years of Mass Shootings. This Is What We Discovered. These are abridged particulars from profiles of the suspected or convicted perpetrators of greater than 150 mass shootings in america.. (New York Occasions)
• Tesla’s Hurting From Elon Musk’s Twitter Meltdowns. The Query Is: How A lot? Since Musk took over at Twitter, his spreading of conspiracy theories and his banning of journalists has eroded a lot of the goodwill towards him — and Tesla. (CNET)
• I’m a company fraud investigator. You wouldn’t imagine the hubris of the super-rich: Whereas the fraudsters I’ve encountered are sometimes crafty, in the end they get carried. (The Guardian)
• The Weight-Loss-Drug Revolution Is a Miracle—And a Menace: How the brand new weight problems drugs might upend American society (The Atlantic)
• Binance Volunteers Work for Swag and Hope for Jobs. It’s Elevating Crimson Flags. The crypto alternate has a community of volunteers often known as Binance Angels. (Barron’s)
• China’s International Mega-Tasks Are Falling Aside: A lot of China’s Belt and Highway infrastructure tasks are plagued with building flaws, together with a large hydropower plant in Ecuador, including extra prices to a program criticized for main nations deeper into debt (Wall Avenue Journal) see additionally They Poured Their Financial savings Into Houses That Had been By no means Constructed: Throughout the nation, as a substitute of condo towers, uninhabitable concrete buildings stand up from idle, overgrown building websites. Infuriated homebuyers in additional than 100 cities rose up in a uncommon act of collective riot final yr, vowing to not repay loans on unfinished properties. (New York Occasions)
• Wind Generators Taller Than the Statue of Liberty Are Falling Over: Breakdowns of towers and blades have bedeviled producers within the US and Europe. (Businessweek)
• How Charlie Javice Received JPMorgan to Pay $175 Million for … What Precisely? A younger founder promised to simplify the school monetary help course of. It was a compelling pitch. Particularly, as now appears probably, to these with little firsthand data of monetary help. (New York Occasions)
• ‘Reckless’: Fury amongst rights teams as Fb lifts Trump ban: Civil rights teams voice anger at ‘unethical’ choice, whereas others say the general public has an curiosity in listening to instantly from candidates for political workplace. (The Guardian) see additionally Trump and Fb’s Mutual Decay: A minimum of the platform lastly added a person. (The Atlantic)
• Takeaways from Sundance’s secret Brett Kavanaugh documentary: Director Doug Liman introduced his new documentary on the pageant. Then new ideas started pouring in. (Washington Submit)
Remember to take a look at our Masters in Enterprise interview this weekend with Neil Dutta, head of financial analysis at Renaissance Macro Analysis. He joined RenMac after spending seven years at Financial institution of America-Merrill Lynch, the place he was a Sr. economist masking US + Canada. Previous to that, he was a analysis analyst at Barron’s.
In Western Democracies, extra weapons imply extra deaths
Supply: New York Occasions
Join our reads-only mailing listing right here.
To learn the way these reads are assembled every day, please see this.